Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Appointment


So i guess we had a good appt with this oncologist...He was nice, but very clinical. I'm sorta annoyed that his body language changed when i told him i didn't want to go the chemo route. He still explained the different types of chemo i could do "to keep my options open" . He said there was really no point in doing the b or t cell test because the treatments for both are the same and because of that he recommends putting the $ into treatment vs more tests.

Multi drug chemo would be 6months of treatment and ~7k for her and even with this it's maybe a year they would live past. NOT a year from remission but a year from when they dog was diagnosed. He said in his experience less than 25% of dogs last more then a year with favorable B cell lymphoma. However 90% of dogs achieve remission with the chemo

Single drug chemo would be every 3 weeks for a total of 5 sessions would be ~ 3k with a outcome of 6-9 months from date of diagnosis. On the estimate it shows 4 drugs that she would have to take at home to counter act or battle side affects of this chemo.

Prednisione would be 1-2mo from date of diagnosis.

Full diagnostic work up if i wanted too would be about 1600 bucks (ouch). I decided to go ahead and do the blood and urine panel to see if it has hit her organs yet and to give a baseline. She was NOT happy about being separated from me and barreled out of the back dragging the nurse in tow. She didnt even have time to put the pee vial down LOL.

Three things that put me off was that i felt like he was judging me on not wanting to do chemo. maybe it's because i was starting to get upset. Two he said that diet and supplements would not help her. I dont get why vets are so anti supplements. We humans use them for our bodies why not animals? And three i had asked him since she was acting not sick if i should start prednisione now or if i should wait for symptoms to appear. He didnt answer me directly on this all he said is if i wanted to start treatment, he then pointed to the chemo, i should start it right away. I almost felt pressured to do what he wanted vs what i wanted.

I will follow up with the vet i met with last sat after her blood results come back and see what she thinks. She seems to be the most compassionate and understanding of my decision. So even though she is in the city i think ill keep going to see her.

As for athena...She was a rockstar in the waiting room. I swear she never made me look so good. Being quiet and sitting a my feet. Not jumping all over the tables and barking and being wild beasts like the other dogs. She is still eating, playing and doing her business and acting normal! Love my beasty beast :)

I will be beyond heart broken when her time comes. But i think that i am doing what is best for her. So i will take it day by day and love her through everything.

No comments: