Thursday, July 5, 2012

Unfair

It took me a while to find a vet office that I liked and trusted enough with my animals. And honestly I thought that I had found the right place for me and Athena. But after events over the last week I am not so sure anymore.

Last week I was told the sample they took last Monday was not clear enough to read. So I had to bring Athena back in for another needle biopsy. Okay no problem. So we went in on Saturday and she got poked again for slides to go to the lab for her swollen glands. Doc said they'd be back Monday or the latest Tuesday. Tuesday rolls around and I hear nothing. So I call at 2pm  and was told they are in, but the doc has to look at them and will call me back. 5pm rolls around and hear nothing. I wasn't really mad at that point just wanted the results and figured someone would call me first thing today.

So I'm driving home Tuesday from getting dinner and I get a call and it's from the vet office at 5:50 the night before a holiday...It's one of the office techs...calling to tell me Athena has round cell lymphoma and the vet won't be back in until Thursday....I took the news in stride until I hung up the phone then cried all the way home. Then i got pissed. Why the hell was anyone other than the vet calling me to give me this news? esp on the night before they were closed for a day. Seriously? WTF?

The vet basically told me to go see an oncologist for her...I'm not really sure I want to go down the chemo route or just let her live her life as she is now. Is it really worth putting her through 25weeks of chemo only to get 6mo-to a year more? Or maybe just leave her as she is now and get longer. I don't know. The vet didn't give me a stage or how long she could have she only recommended me to a Oncologist. And if I wanted to find out if she has B or T cell then I would have to have additional testing.

This is so unfair. She is a young dog and so healthy and full of life. Blah F you cancer.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Oh no!!! This is not fair at all!!! Definitely talk to some experts before you decide anything, I do know of dogs who've gotten many years out of doing treatment (including a couple of prominent beardies). Hugs to you both :(